Electric vehicles are a good option for city riders. Electric vehicles have a number of advantages and also have some disadvantages also. Let’s talk about the full details-
Why are Electric Vehicles so Expensive?
- The upfront cost of an electric vehicle in India is generally higher than that of a petrol vehicle, but this cost can be offset by lower fuel and maintenance expenses over time.
- take the example of a Tata Nexon EV, which has a starting price of around 14.99 Lakh, while a petrol version of the same model starts at around 7.79 Lakh.
- The cost of charging an electric vehicle in India is approximately 8 per kWh, while the cost of petrol is around 99.86 per liter.
- Let’s assume that you drive 15,000 km per year and your electric vehicle has a range of 312 km on a single charge. To cover the 15,000 km, you would need to charge your electric vehicle 48 times, for a total cost of 11,520 (48 * 240). [ 240 = Rs.8 per kWh * 30 kWh (battery capacity)]
- On the other hand, if you were driving a petrol vehicle that got 10 km per liter, you would need to refuel 1500 liters of petrol, for a total cost of 145,140 (1500 * 96.76).
- So, by switching to an electric vehicle, you could potentially save ₹133,620 in fuel costs alone over a period of one year. This calculation does not include the additional savings from lower maintenance costs associated with EVs, which have fewer moving parts and therefore require less frequent maintenance and repairs.
- Therefore, while the cost of an electric vehicle in India may be higher than that of a petrol vehicle, in the long run, the lower fuel and maintenance costs can make it a more economical choice.
Advantages of Electric Vehicle-
Light and cheap-
Low maintenance cost-
Electric cars have a single-speed transmission, which is simpler and cheaper than the multi-speed transmissions found in regular cars. However, electric motors are more expensive than internal combustion engines. So the maintenance cost is much lesser than the traditional gasoline cars.
Silent in operation-
Electric cars are silent in operation because they don’t have an internal combustion engine that creates noise when it burns fuel. The only noise in electric vehicles is wind resistance and tire sounds. Electric cars are really quiet and do not hamper the environment.