The accelerator pump system in the carburetor is responsible for delivering an immediate supply of fuel when the throttle is quickly opened. An accelerator pump is a rubber plunger in a cylindrical bore in the car. The bore is full of gasoline, and when you open the throttle (accelerate), the linkage moves the plunger in the bore, forcing a squirt of fuel into the carburetor’s throat. This can result in hesitation, stumbling, or even an engine stall. The carburetor is the main device in an engine for supplying fuel as well as the increment of the fuel pressure. In this article, I will discuss the accelerator pump system in the carburetor.
Accelerator pump system in carburetor-
Pump System in Carburetor
For rapid acceleration, the carburetor must deliver additional fuel. By quickly opening the throttle valve for rapid acceleration, the suction through the carburetor increases suddenly. The air is lighter than the gasoline, rushes into the carburetor very suddenly, and gasoline lags behind the air, thus the mixture becomes lean instead of richer. This condition will exist until the inertia has been overcome, and the gasoline particles have time to respond completely to the increased suction. At this time, additional fuel is most needed to make the mixture rich. An accelerating pump is used to provide the correct air-fuel mixture during acceleration. The pump receives the fuel from the float chamber and discharges it directly into the mixing chamber when the throttle valve is open.
Operation of an accelerator pump system in carburetor-
Advantages of an accelerator pump system in carburetor-
carburetor. It provides several advantages that improve the performance of
an engine. Below are some of the advantages of the accelerator pump system:
- This system improved throttle response. The accelerator pump system
provides an immediate supply of fuel to the carburetor when the throttle is
- The accelerator pump system in the carburetor reduced engine hesitation. Rapidly opening the throttle can
cause a momentary lack of fuel flow to the carburetor. It will result in engine
hesitation. The accelerator pump system compensates
for this lack of fuel by providing a shot of fuel into the carburetor venturi,
which reduces engine hesitation.
- The accelerator pump system also helps to
maintain a smooth and consistent idle by ensuring that the carburetor receives
a consistent supply of fuel when the throttle is opened and closed.
- The accelerator pump system
ensures that the engine receives the extra fuel needed for acceleration. It enhanced the overall engine performance. This is especially important in
high-performance engines where quick throttle response is critical.
- The accelerator pump system helps to
prevent fuel from being wasted during acceleration. By providing an extra shot
of fuel only when needed, the system ensures that the engine is not running too
rich, which can waste fuel.
The accelerator pump system is a simple
and effective solution to the problem of engine hesitation during acceleration.
Unlike other systems that require complex electronic controls or additional
fuel injectors, the accelerator pump system is a mechanical system that is easy
to install and maintain. Overall this is a sustainable product used by the developers.
Disadvantages of an accelerator pump system in carburetor-
If there are advantages then disadvantages are also there. Some of the disadvantages are mentioned below-
- The accelerator pump system has poor fuel economy. While the accelerator pump system can improve fuel economy during acceleration, it can have the opposite effect at full throttle. This is because the system provides an extra shot of fuel that may not be necessary at high engine speeds, resulting in wasted fuel.
- The accelerator pump system increased emissions, particularly during acceleration. This is because the extra fuel supplied by the system can cause the engine to run richer than necessary, which can result in higher emissions.
- The accelerator pump system is a mechanical system that requires regular maintenance to ensure proper operation. The diaphragm and linkage components can wear over time, which can affect the performance of the system. If the mechanical system faults then significant repair will also hamper.
- This system is incompatible with the electronic fuel system. The accelerator pump system is a mechanical system that is not compatible with electronic fuel injection systems. This can limit the ability to upgrade to newer fuel injection systems that offer better performance and fuel economy.